Skip to main content

Eve's Pancit Canton Chicken Scampi: Inspired by Betty Crocker

Hello there! Today is Sunday but I wasn't able to attend the Worship Service. There were carpentry jobs at home which I had to supervise, and while doing so, as usual, the experiment in the kitchen goes on. Never a day without trials and tests in my kitchen. My experiments usually consist of  modifications in the original recipes that happen when:
  1. I deliberately change the ingredients of the recipe according to what is available 
  1. I modify the sequence of the cooking directions as I deem appropriate

Today's recipe experiment is a variation of Betty Crocker's Quick Chicken Scampi. This is a delicious skillet dinner made with linguine served with chicken mixture and vegetables. Betty Crocker's recipe has the following ingredients:



The original recipe calls for linguine which I replaced with Chinese canton noodles. Then, I substituted Progresso Chicken Broth with Knorr Chicken Cube. Instead of roasted red peppers I used fresh green bell pepper. And to Betty's original line up of veggies I added dried mushroom, broccoli, carrots and celery. Lastly, I didn't mean to but I missed to sprinkle the lemon peel.

This is how I did my Pancit Canton Chicken Scampi:

Ingredients:

2 tbsps butter
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium sized onion, cut into fine strips (because I didn't have green onions)
1 piece Knorr Chicken Cube
1 cup grilled chicken breast chunks
Pinch of salt and ground pepper
500 grams Chinese Canton Noodles
2 cups water
1/3 cup dried mushrooms, soaked in water
0.25 gms asparagus spears, cut into 2-inch pieces
1/2 cup broccoli florets
1/2 medium carrot, cut into strips
1/3 green bell pepper, cut into strips
1 tbsp celery cut thinly


 
Directions:
  1. In a stainless pan, melt 1 tbsp butter. Add 1/2 mixture of the chopped garlic and onions, 1/2 of the chicken chunks and 2/3 of the Chicken Cube.  

 










2. Set aside the rest of the ingredients. After 1 minute, add water and let boil. Add salt and ground pepper to taste. Add canton noodles. Set aside when noodles are cooked.   (Take note that since I substituted linguine with canton noodles, I first sautéed the chicken in the noodle mixture and  used more of the chicken stock to add more flavor to the noodles.)  

3. In a skillet, melt remaining butter. Add the remaining garlic, onion, chicken chunks and chicken       cube.  Season with salt and pepper. Add the pre-soaked mushrooms, asparagus spears, broccoli florets and carrots. Add just a little water, enough to cook the vegetables. Simmer for 2 minutes or until veggies are cooked. Stir in bell pepper and celery.

         4. Pour over cooked canton noodles and serve hot.

This is how it turned out.


 Pancit Canton Chicken Scampi not only for lunch but also for merienda.


 To complete today's menu, here's my Fruity-Yogurt Delight
  
Using Nestle Fruit Selection Yogurt as topping

 Tired after the whole day's work (with all the supervising and cleaning up to do after the carpentry jobs) but as always, there's no better substitute for self-fulfillment. 

Shall we call it a week? Wishing you all a refreshing and productive week ahead! :)

Comments

  1. Very productive weekend Eve.Very diverse interest. it is a good diversion from your busy work in PHC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anonymous, it is indeed a good diversion from work. And may I have the honor of knowing your real identity? you can email me at evesison2000@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment. Would love to see you back.

Most popular posts

Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta: A Remake

There's a saying that goes, "One is enough, two is too much..." Uh uhhh, not for this!!! I'm referring to the Spanish Sardines Pasta which was my welcome post this year. My daughter, Ayana Grace, bought a bottle of pesto from the grocery store last month (she usually does...we seldom run out of pesto sauce in our cupboard) and I just wasn't able to resist making another try of the Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta so here it is... Ingredients: 2 tbsps reserved oil from bottled sardines 2 tbsps olive oil 1 tbsp minced garlic 1/4 cup diced tomato 1 cup flaked Spanish sardines 1/3 cup Pesto sauce 1/4 cup pitted black olives 1/4 cup button mushrooms 1/2 kilo pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions salt and pepper to taste Whole pieces of Spanish sardines (1 piece as topping per serving) Parsley for garnish   Steps: In a large saute pan, heat oil from sardines. Add olive oil as needed. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add diced

Ensaladang Mustasa

It's back to work today, after five days of rest, something I've been looking forward to. As if the  long Christmas holiday vacation was not enough :) Well, days just seem to fly so fast! Thanks to the additional non-working holidays brought about by the Pope's visit to my country, the Philippines. I had time to relax, stay at home, bond with family and yes, sort picture files in my computer. In between social networking, of course, I cooked for my family. With my husband home, there has to be fish and vegetables on the dining table. There was a bunch of mustasa (mustard) leaves left in the vegetable bin. What could be a better and perfect partner to fried fish than Ensaladang Mustasa (Mustard Salad)? Very simple and easy, here's how I did it. Ingredients: 1 bunch of mustasa leaves Rock salt 2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced 1 small onion, sliced thinly 3 tbsps vinegar Iodized salt, ground pepper and sugar to taste Steps: 1. Cut mus

Ensaladang Alugbati (Malabar Spinach Salad)

This post appeared in my Facebook memories today. I'm glad it did! I featured this salad in my FB page a year ago.  Alugbati  (Malabar Spinach)  Salad (Ensaladang Alugbati). This came up when I received for the first time this bouquet of alugbati from Erik, my officemate. He shares with us fruits and veggies fresh from his garden.