Skip to main content

What Greater Love?



Hello, there you are! Couldn't resist sharing this poem I just found. I thought it's very timely as everyone might have been busy traveling to go to the cemetery to visit graves in memory of departed loved ones.

I Am Not Here

Don’t stand by my grave and weep,
For I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint of snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn’s rain.
When you awaken in the morning, hush.
For I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circle flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand by my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die. (Hopi Grief Song/Prayer)
Beautiful, isn't it? 

This past week until today, it's been Happy Halloween greetings I read and spooky scary images and photos I see in my FB newsfeed. Well, my family has never celebrated Halloween. My kids have never joined any Trick or Treat. Neither have they any of those Halloween costumes. As a kid, though, aside from bringing flowers, lighting candles and offering prayers in the cemetery, I remember my grandmother cooking rice cake and my father would also buy Kalamay Hati and Bayebaye (native delicacies), in celebration of the All Saints / Souls Day tradition. 

I saw these photos posted by hubby (he has been posting his best photos via Instagram) in his FB wall and Google+. These two photos were taken in a cemetery near the Matisse Museum that he visited in Nice, France.

Tomb of French painter, Henri Matisse

"What love is this that can't let go?"
Another photo he took in the same cemetery
Simple, yet beautiful! Looking at these two photos caused me to ponder on some verses about life after death and so I write---

                            Once I was dead (spiritually, that is) because of the sinfulness of sin, 
                            but what great love was it that caused a mighty God to lay 
                            down his life for me? A love far greater than the woman's love of her 
                            husband who lies lifeless underneath the tomb!

                            Yes, dead in sin, I was, but made alive in Christ. 
                            For God chose to die on the Cross and rise again, 
                            that He may raise me up to live with Him. 

                           Such is our God, rich in mercy and grace, in that even when 
                           I was dead in my sin, by grace, He saved me and made me live.
                           To the death He died at the Cross He succumbed, once and for all, 
                            that I may live with Him!

"Do not stand by my grave and cry. I am not there, I did not die."

Comments

Most popular posts

Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta: A Remake

There's a saying that goes, "One is enough, two is too much..." Uh uhhh, not for this!!! I'm referring to the Spanish Sardines Pasta which was my welcome post this year. My daughter, Ayana Grace, bought a bottle of pesto from the grocery store last month (she usually does...we seldom run out of pesto sauce in our cupboard) and I just wasn't able to resist making another try of the Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta so here it is... Ingredients: 2 tbsps reserved oil from bottled sardines 2 tbsps olive oil 1 tbsp minced garlic 1/4 cup diced tomato 1 cup flaked Spanish sardines 1/3 cup Pesto sauce 1/4 cup pitted black olives 1/4 cup button mushrooms 1/2 kilo pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions salt and pepper to taste Whole pieces of Spanish sardines (1 piece as topping per serving) Parsley for garnish   Steps: In a large saute pan, heat oil from sardines. Add olive oil as needed. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add diced

Ensaladang Mustasa

It's back to work today, after five days of rest, something I've been looking forward to. As if the  long Christmas holiday vacation was not enough :) Well, days just seem to fly so fast! Thanks to the additional non-working holidays brought about by the Pope's visit to my country, the Philippines. I had time to relax, stay at home, bond with family and yes, sort picture files in my computer. In between social networking, of course, I cooked for my family. With my husband home, there has to be fish and vegetables on the dining table. There was a bunch of mustasa (mustard) leaves left in the vegetable bin. What could be a better and perfect partner to fried fish than Ensaladang Mustasa (Mustard Salad)? Very simple and easy, here's how I did it. Ingredients: 1 bunch of mustasa leaves Rock salt 2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced 1 small onion, sliced thinly 3 tbsps vinegar Iodized salt, ground pepper and sugar to taste Steps: 1. Cut mus

Ensaladang Alugbati (Malabar Spinach Salad)

This post appeared in my Facebook memories today. I'm glad it did! I featured this salad in my FB page a year ago.  Alugbati  (Malabar Spinach)  Salad (Ensaladang Alugbati). This came up when I received for the first time this bouquet of alugbati from Erik, my officemate. He shares with us fruits and veggies fresh from his garden.